Sunday, October 5, 2008

Cutting the Cord...

We had a monumental weekend. Thomas had his first sleep-over at Nana and Papa's House. To help with the transition, we were thankful that Christian, Thomas' cousin, could also spend the night. Thomas was all packed and ready to go with excitement. I packed every possible item that might be needed...just-in-case! (Motrin, a pad for the bed in case he had an accident, 4 changes of clothes, etc.) He brought lots of toys and his new Power Wheels Jeep he got from last weekend's garage sale. We dropped him off near the 5 o'clock time on Saturday. Everything was fine until he realized that we were leaving. He was a little weepy, but had lots of fun. He got to ride his Jeep and stay up late. On Sunday morning they all made pancakes (one of Thomas' favorite foods!) Ken and I picked him up near 11:30 on Sunday morning.

This was the first time that Ken and I had a night together without Thomas. Since he has always gone to bed early we never felt that we needed our own time. Ken and I went to The Cheesecake Factory, walked Park Ave. in Winter Park, and then went out to listen to some music and dancing. It was 11:45 and I was ready to go home. It was way past my bedtime. It was the first night that I didn't get to tuck Thomas in, read him stories or brush his teeth. I didn't have to listen for the baby monitor for any cries or coughs. I got to sleep in and we even went out for breakfast before we picked him up. I realize now that even though Ken and I have quiet time together after Thomas goes to bed, it's not the same. We actually had dialogue that wasn't interrupted by someone shouting,"Mom?Mom? Look at me! Mom, listen!!" It was incredibly difficult to cut the cord but I am so thankful that Thomas was happy to sleep over at Nana's and Papa's and that maybe Ken and I can start planning more time together. Here's a picture of him all packed up with his stuff.....the Jeep was already in the car!! ( I can't imagine what it would look like if we went away for a week!)

No comments: